Tuesday, February 9, 2016

this is what makes us girls


I don’t know which is more bitter
the taste of being tricked into feeling respected
or of letting myself be tricked

dark chocolate
ten kind words
sixty soured by spite
and a hundred thoughts of how trying so hard can still get you nowhere

Amy Dunne said it best when she denounced the Cool Girl but
I know too many girls like me who will turn themselves inside out and hand over their own beating heart to the devil
for just a taste of acceptance
before being ground back into dust and dirt and eyeliner

They say they want natural girls, real girls
never mind that they only want real if it fits their reality

black coffee
addictive like those kind words that you left claw marks fighting for
not good for you
but something the day seems impossible to face without

I’ve known this for years now but I still suck on lemons like I did when I was fifteen

2 comments:

  1. That is so accurate for the struggle girls go through everyday, now more than ever. If society could see how truly fantastic girls were, rather than subjecting them to the strict guidelines they have been implementing for years, the world would be a much more beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete